• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Boiled Sour...

bobo1898

Grandmaster Brewer
Master Brewer
Reaction score
I understand that if you're brewing a sour, and work with plastic materials, you should have plastic materials designated for sours only so you don't cross contaminate.

I have an auto-syphon and hosing for sours, as well as a sour bottling bucket. My fermenters are glass so I'm not concerned about that.

I made a gose a couple weeks ago. First, I pitched lactobacillus after my mash and let it sit for several days till the pH dropped. Then I boiled the wort as usual---full hour, hop additions, etc.

Theoretically, I shouldn't have to use my souring equipment, right? Because I boiled after it was infected, everything should be killed off and I should be able to use my regular hosing and everything?

Just my 2 cents- I would use the sour beer equipment. Although in theory there should be no more souring organisms, I wouldn't want to take the chance turning regular beer stuff into another set of soured  equipment. Sour beer flavour may  persist. CHEERS

If you boiled after souring, my opinion is that you "should" handle it in your normal clean beer equipment.  If you handle it with your sour equipment, you actually risk re-infecting it!

Scott Ickes said:
If you handle it with your sour equipment, you actually risk re-infecting it!

That's what I was thinking....I'd essentially be re-introducing old bugs into a pasteurized beer.

But yes, @twhitaker, messing up my non-sour equipment would not be the best.

Back