• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

water question for brewing with oats

jonnym_ch

Brewer
Reaction score
hi all,
just a quick question concerning a recent weissbier i brewed. i used 400g of oats in the grain bill for a 25l (6.6gal) brew and, while i usually have no trouble in hitting my targets for wort extraction, i was 2 litres light after sparging (getting 33l of wort instead of the 35l i should have got).
i don't know if someone out there has had this experience when brweing with oats but my question is this: is this due to the oats in the mash soaking up more liquid than grains would have and, if so, should i therefore mash (or sparge) with additional water in the future (from the experience here i would guess that for the oats i used, a litre of water per 200g of oats would sort this out) ???
any help would be greatly appreciated !!
cheers,
jon

I very much doubt that 400g of oats would soak up 2 liters of water on top of what you've already calculated. I think you need to look for another reason.

The difference in water absorption between flaked oats/wheat/barley and regular crushed grains is pretty negligible.  With the loading of oats you cited for a 25 liter batch, it would amount to less than 100 ml.  I'm with Roadrocket, you need to look elsewhere for you water discrepancy.

Back