• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Hops and AA % in Inventory

JCallicoat13

Apprentice
Reaction score
I recently bought BeerSmith and have used it for a couple recipes now. I like the Inventory feature, but I find when I'm making a recipe that calls for Saaz with a 3.5 % AA, and I have the correct amount (in weight) of Saaz in my Inventory, but they happen to be, say, 2.8 % AA, BeerSmith will tell me not to buy any more at the store, if I just use the Shopping List function. Then I get home and find that if I'm measuring by AAUs, I didn't buy all I needed when I was at the store. Is there any way to adjust or work around this? I'd like to keep my Inventory and Shopping List for hops in AAU's rather than just in weight, which can be misleading when it's time to make a shopping list.

Thanks for any help!

I keep all my hop inventory up to date in terms of the actual %AA content of what I have.  Since I do mostly 10 liter batches, I am very rarely using a full ounce of hops at a time and have excess left over in inventory.  This can lead to some of the very same issues that you noted.

To avoid this, the first thing I  do when I  bring up a recipe I  have not brewed for a while, is to update the hops to the latest version by 'substituting' the hope in the recipe with the latest lot of the same hops in my inventory.  I then rebalance the IBU to the original value either by using the IBU slider under the design window or by manually increasing/decreasing each hop addition back the the original contribution level.  It is only then that I add the recipe to the shopping list, which lists the %AA of the hops so that when I do go to purchase I can compare the current %AA on the hops I am purchasing with the %AA on the shopping list.

As far as I know, BS does not track hops inventory by AA%.  That would be an astronomical feet considering the AA% value changes on a season by season basis, AND a region by region basis. It's not uncommon for me to look through the inventory of a particular hop variety from my dealer and find 1 or 2 different AA% values for the same variety - different packaging, of coarse.

Sooooo, the method I use of maintaining accuracy in my recipes using the hops I have in stock is exactly how oginme explained. It works!

Back