Author Topic: Hops on Ebay?  (Read 3834 times)

Offline BeerSmith

• Brewer, Author, Patriot
  • BeerSmith Administrator
  • BeerSmith Grandmaster Brewer
  • BeerSmith - take the guesswork out of brewing!
    • BeerSmith
Hops on Ebay?
« on: April 05, 2008, 12:22:50 AM »
All,
  A fellow brewer left an interesting comment on my blog today - he said he had resorted to purchasing hops by the pound on eBay!

I did a quick ebay search, and indeed there are several listings (most by the pound) for hops at prices much lower than we're paying in the store at the moment.

I thought I might pass this on...your thoughts?

Thanks,
Brad
Get a free trial of BeerSmith 3 here

Offline Andrewqld

• Crawford Inn & Brewery
  • Global Moderator
  • BeerSmith Grandmaster Brewer
  • Clarks Brewery
Re: Hops on Ebay?
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2008, 04:34:40 PM »
Great savings can be made as Brad has pointed out, however be aware that sometimes the hops sold on Ebay can be very old stock, If the harvest date eg. 06, 07 or 08 aren't listed in the item details ask the seller how old the hops are, if they can't tell you a harvest date I would be very wary.

Cheers
Andrew

Offline Charlie Mops

• Global Moderator
  • BeerSmith Master Brewer
Re: Hops on Ebay?
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2008, 10:37:44 AM »
I personally don't trust anything sold on e-bay.  With beer you get what you pay for so why would the ingredients be any different.
A long time ago way back in history, when all there was to drink was nothing but cups of tea, along came a man by the name Charlie Mops and he invented a wounderfull drink and he made it out of hops. He ought to be Admiral, a Sultoun, or a King, and to his prasies we shall alwas sing.