• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Bug? Yeast/extract order incorrect when using "post boil" additions

shauno

Apprentice
Reaction score
Hi,
I'm new to Beersmith 2, and trying to get a couple of recipes working.
One issue I noticed is that when adding extract at the end of a boil, the software will either put the extract right at the start (even if using boil time = 0), or if I use the post-boil option, then it will add it prior to fermentation but after adding the yeast, which is nonsensical.

I understand that Brewsmith calculates the sugar based upon all additions, and that maybe why it add it at the start of the recipe, but that means anyone following will add the late addition extracts at the wrong time and change the profile of the beer, plus the expected volume of the wort (calc at ~5L, but ends up being 8L post extract additions at end!).

Is this something that can be fixed or changed (maybe respect the 0min boil timing and order accordingly)?  Maybe one way to deal with display/brew order issues is to allow people to manually change the order themselves (ie renumber to suit their requirements).  Just a thought.  Thanks!

+------------ Example from recipe -------------+
<snip>
10.00 g    Mosaic (HBC 369) [12.00 %] - Boil 0.0 min    Hop    14    0.0 IBUs
10.00 g    Simcoe [12.00 %] - Boil 0.0 min                    Hop    15    0.0 IBUs
0.50 tsp  Yeast Nutrient (Boil 0.0 mins)                        Other  16      -

◯ Estimated Post Boil Vol: 5.47 l and Est Post Boil Gravity: 1.086 SG

Cool and Transfer Wort
◯ Cool wort to fermentation temperature
◯ Transfer wort to fermenter
◯ Add water if needed to achieve final volume of 23.00 l

Pitch Yeast and Measure Gravity and Volume
Fermentation Ingredients
Amt        Name                                                                      Type        #    %/IBU

2.0 pkg    Safale American (DCL/Fermentis #US-05) [50.28 ml]  Yeast      17      -
5.00 kg    Liquid Malt Extract - Light [Boil for 0 min](7.9 EBC)      Extract  18      69.0 %
1.00 kg    Amber Liquid Malt Extract (24.6 EBC)                          Extract  19      13.8 %

◯ Measure Actual Original Gravity _______    (Target: 1.086 SG)
</snip>

I have a lot of recipes with post boil sugar/malt extract additions and honestly can never remember seeing that in the brew sheet print out at all.  Maybe if you exported the recipe as a .bsmx file and posted it I can see something in how they are entered in the recipe that might help.

Hi,

Thanks for the reply.
I've attached the BSMX file for you to look at.

Note: I'm using Beersmith 2.2.12

Thanks,
Shauno

Attachments

• pirates_wife.bsmx
    34.4 KB · Views: 149
played around with this for a while and the only way I can get it set right is to give it a 1 minute boil addition.  Honestly, I have not run into this before and checked print outs of my past brews and always the sugar add was prior to the yeast listing. 

Brad has listed a better support for post boil sugar adds in this next update due August 8th.  I'd see if this update corrects you issue.

Ok, thanks for the feedback and attempt to work it out.
I'll keep an eye out for the next update and give it a test then.

Thanks!
Shauno

Hi,

I've upgraded Beersmith to the latest version that was recently released.  Either I didn't notice some of the modules, or they were just added, and are really cool!  (eg Session stats).

However, I tested my original problem and the system still insists on adding the yeast *before* I add the final malt extracts at the end of the boil. 

I have tried using
* 0 min/post boil unticked: Does not honour the 0 min boil time - treats the same as a 60min boil time). 
* Set to 1min boil time/post boil unticked - better, but appears just before the final hop additions to the wort.
* Set to 0min/post-boil ticked - added *after* the addition of the yeast
* Set to 1min/post-boil tickets - no difference - *after* the addition of the yeast

Any suggestions I can try?

Thanks,
Shauno

Back