Author Topic: Windows 10 Anniversary Update and BeerSmith Add-ons  (Read 3074 times)

Offline buddhalite

• BeerSmith New Brewer
  • BeerSmith 2 Rocks!
Windows 10 Anniversary Update and BeerSmith Add-ons
« on: July 29, 2016, 10:07:45 AM »
Hi,

Interesting issue I came across that I can only duplicate on a system with the Insider build of the Win10 Anniversary Update.  When adding an Add-on it would appear to work and without error.  When the Add-on window was closed and opened the add-on would be missing.  The only way I can find around this is to start BeerSmith as an administrator.  I can not duplicate this on a system the doesn't get Insider updates.

Offline BeerSmith

• Brewer, Author, Patriot
  • BeerSmith Administrator
  • BeerSmith Grandmaster Brewer
  • BeerSmith - take the guesswork out of brewing!
    • BeerSmith
Re: Windows 10 Anniversary Update and BeerSmith Add-ons
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2016, 10:26:21 AM »
Check the file permissions of all of the files in Documents/BeerSmith2.  I know some people had problems with an earlier in place Win 10 update where the program would not carry over the owner of some files and as a result the program could not write to those files (i.e. they essentially became read-only for the current user).

Brad
Get a free trial of BeerSmith 3 here

Offline sircasio

• BeerSmith Apprentice Brewer
  • BeerSmith 2 Rocks!
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2017, 08:32:56 AM »
Old thread, but I have a similar issue.

I have Win10 64-bit Anniv Update (non Insider build). A fresh install of BeerSmith2 (2.3.12). The first step I did was to install the add-on for Blichmann Boilermaker TM (6 equip). I noticed not all of the sizes showed up in my equipment profile list - only the 15, 20, and 55g pots appear. The only change to files on my system at that time was the addition of Documents/BeerSmith2/Updates/BoilerMaker.bsmx. If I then remove the add-on, not only are those three kettles removed, but others from the default/initial load! If I close BeerSmith2, then just double-click the BoilerMaker.bsmx file, BeerSmith2 shows me all of the sizes are indeed present in that file.

I have uninstalled, removed Documents/BeerSmith2 as well as ProgramFiles(x86)/BeerSmith2 and reinstalled. I consistently get this behavior where not all of the add-on "installs" and when removing the add-on, it, plus other stuff is removed. I tried changing permissions, but it had no effect. I noticed that after closing BeerSmith2 a bunch of bsmx files are written to Documents/BeerSmith2. I checked the contents of the Equipment.bsmx file in a text editor and it matches what is shown in the tool. So the application is not properly handling the files.

I can only assume add-ons in general will not work so I am stuck for now.

Offline itrider

• BeerSmith New Brewer
  • BeerSmith 2 Rocks!
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2017, 12:59:26 PM »
Another problem discovered is after upgrading to Win10 v1703, I cannot change mash profiles for my recipes. The profiles exist under the actual Mash*.bsmx files; however, they are not accessible for all my recipes now, including new.  Another issue is that when building a recipe based on % of malts, it said that in order to hit my OG, I needed >62lbs of grain for a 5.5gal batch.  We are working with a brewery for Big Brew Day next month and others on Mac OSX or older Win10 builds do not have this issue.  I have even tried 2.3.12; however, no go.

Another odd thing is that it takes 20-30 sec for the "BeerSmith 2 (34 bit) process to close itself after exiting the program.