• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Windows 10 Anniversary Update and BeerSmith Add-ons

buddhalite

New Forum Member
Reaction score
Hi,

Interesting issue I came across that I can only duplicate on a system with the Insider build of the Win10 Anniversary Update.  When adding an Add-on it would appear to work and without error.  When the Add-on window was closed and opened the add-on would be missing.  The only way I can find around this is to start BeerSmith as an administrator.  I can not duplicate this on a system the doesn't get Insider updates.

Check the file permissions of all of the files in Documents/BeerSmith2.  I know some people had problems with an earlier in place Win 10 update where the program would not carry over the owner of some files and as a result the program could not write to those files (i.e. they essentially became read-only for the current user).

Brad

Old thread, but I have a similar issue.

I have Win10 64-bit Anniv Update (non Insider build). A fresh install of BeerSmith2 (2.3.12). The first step I did was to install the add-on for Blichmann Boilermaker TM (6 equip). I noticed not all of the sizes showed up in my equipment profile list - only the 15, 20, and 55g pots appear. The only change to files on my system at that time was the addition of Documents/BeerSmith2/Updates/BoilerMaker.bsmx. If I then remove the add-on, not only are those three kettles removed, but others from the default/initial load! If I close BeerSmith2, then just double-click the BoilerMaker.bsmx file, BeerSmith2 shows me all of the sizes are indeed present in that file.

I have uninstalled, removed Documents/BeerSmith2 as well as ProgramFiles(x86)/BeerSmith2 and reinstalled. I consistently get this behavior where not all of the add-on "installs" and when removing the add-on, it, plus other stuff is removed. I tried changing permissions, but it had no effect. I noticed that after closing BeerSmith2 a bunch of bsmx files are written to Documents/BeerSmith2. I checked the contents of the Equipment.bsmx file in a text editor and it matches what is shown in the tool. So the application is not properly handling the files.

I can only assume add-ons in general will not work so I am stuck for now.

Another problem discovered is after upgrading to Win10 v1703, I cannot change mash profiles for my recipes. The profiles exist under the actual Mash*.bsmx files; however, they are not accessible for all my recipes now, including new.  Another issue is that when building a recipe based on % of malts, it said that in order to hit my OG, I needed >62lbs of grain for a 5.5gal batch.  We are working with a brewery for Big Brew Day next month and others on Mac OSX or older Win10 builds do not have this issue.  I have even tried 2.3.12; however, no go.

Another odd thing is that it takes 20-30 sec for the "BeerSmith 2 (34 bit) process to close itself after exiting the program.

Attachments

• 2017-04-24_13-47-33.jpg
    2017-04-24_13-47-33.jpg
    10.5 KB · Views: 308
Back