• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Can you false carb a beer thats been in primary for 8 weeks?

Molly

Apprentice
Reaction score
Hi
Can I false carb a beer that's been in primary for 8 weeks or does it need more time in secondary/keg to condition if you're not bottle conditioning?

Many thanks in advance.

You can force carb a beer at any point, even during fermentation.

What style of beer is this? I'm asking because eight weeks is unusually long for most beers. Also, I don't see any benefit for a secondary with most beers - that's my personal preference and lots of experienced brewers always use a secondary. If the gravity has been stable for a few days I consider it finished fermenting. Another week or so gives the yeast time to clean up. Additional time in the primary will allow the beer to clear, but that usually doesn't require eight weeks for me. Of course I don't worry about cloudy beer.  ::)

Except, sometimes and some beers may take eight weeks.

The simple answer is: yes.  However, as durrettd suggested, I have never kept a brew on the yeast bed for that long.  I will typically leave it until fermentation is complete, wait a few more days to allow the yeast to clean up the diasetyl, then I like to rack to the secondary.  I try to get my beers as clear as possible and the secondary really seems to help.  So to answer your question, yes you can providing your actually force carbonating.  If you choose to bottle condition, I would highly recommend pitching additional yeast - CBC, for example.

Hope this helps!

Back