• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Newbie: Grain Question, Amber 30-60 EBC with extract brew?

Chrispy92

New Forum Member
Reaction score
Hey Guys,

Newbie here, been reading up lots and lots and have finished my first extract brew the other week using a Coopers Pale Ale kit, beefed up with a bit of Galaxy hops (steeped and dry hopped 3 days in).

So I have been reading about steeping grains into an extract brew to try and achieve a bit more body and flavor. I jumped the gun an purchased 1kg of grain listed as "Amber 30-60 EBC". Honestly, I have little idea of what I have just bought, other than it has been "cracked". So I need some help! I plan to use it with another Coopers Pale Ale kit and really want to hop the crap out of it (Purchased some more Galaxy and Mosaic hop pellets).

So in short my questions are:
1) With this grain can I steep it? and if so how much water should I use and at what temp/how long?
2) I have read a little about mashing grain but not sure what the methods are and how to do it!?
3) Will I need to account for the extra fermentables the grain will give to the beer? Will I need to reduce the amount of sugar I put in with the wort extract?

Any help with how and what to do with this will be much appreciated!! I am mucho exited.

Regards
Chris

Back