• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Base malt "max in batch" question

hajiii

New Forum Member
Reaction score
I know I read this somewhere once but can't seem to find it. When a base malt profile (Munich malt for instance) says something like "80% max in batch", is that 80% of total grain bill, even if that malt is your only base malt (other 20%+ are specialty malts), or does that mean that you need another base malt (say, a pale 2-row) to make up a total base malt bill?

Greetings hajiii,

Personally, I pay little attention to the "Max. in batch" numbers for a base malt.  I will soon be brewing a SMaSH and will be using 100% Maris Otter.  That said, I pay very close attention to the percentage (%) information for my specialty malts as I have, on more than one occasion, added way too much and the brew didn't turn out all that well.

hajiii said:
I know I read this somewhere once but can't seem to find it. When a base malt profile (Munich malt for instance) says something like "80% max in batch", is that 80% of total grain bill, even if that malt is your only base malt (other 20%+ are specialty malts), or does that mean that you need another base malt (say, a pale 2-row) to make up a total base malt bill?
I was trained to use the percentage of base malt as the total of the whole grain bill, not just the base malt.  Also the percentage is important as the malts all have significant differences between say a Munich malt and a pale 2  or 6 row.  I would continue to pay attention in the respect that when you begin building recipes, this is a great way to visualize your grain bill.

"Max Percentage in Batch" is a guideline. Feel free to use the guidelines to start, but feel free to deviate based on your experience.

All-Munich can make a great beer. Try it with a heavy dose of noble hops.

KellerBrauer said:
I pay very close attention to the percentage (%) information for my specialty malt

+1

In this case ignore the 80%, but specialty malts deserve some attention generally speaking

jtoots said:
KellerBrauer said:
I pay very close attention to the percentage (%) information for my specialty malt

+1

In this case ignore the 80%, but specialty malts deserve some attention generally speaking

For specialty malts I pay attention to product data sheets from the maltster more than what has been put into BeerSmith. 

Back