• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Help with creating a multistep infusion with batch sparge mash profile

rbc3

New Forum Member
Reaction score
I'm a big fan of Belgian style ales and I'm just getting in to all grain brewing.  Up to this point I've been doing a single step infusion with batch sparge due to ease and simplicity of mashing for 5-6 gallon batches.

From what I've read all/most of the Belgian brewers use a multistep infusion with fly sparge.  For my small batch homebrew, I don't want to buy a bunch of equipment to fly sparge.  I'd rather stick to batch sparging, which seems to have gotten me at 72% brewhouse efficiency based on my results.  I would like to try a multistep infusion to mash closer to the way Belgians do.

BeerSmith has very helpful and easy to use mash profiles for single step infusion, batch sparge or multistep infusion, fly sparge.  What I'm struggling with is how to design a mash profile for multistep infusion, batch sparge.  Can someone help me or point me to a good tutorial on how to build a mash profile in BeerSmith?

Thanks in advance,
-Robert

This may help:

http://brulosophy.com/2014/08/14/beersmith-tutorial-batch-sparge-mash-profile-setup/

Thanks Oginme!  The video doesn't show exactly how to make a multi-step infusion.  However, it got me going in the right direction on how to create copies of the OOTB mash profiles.  I fiddled with adding mash steps for protein and saccharification rests and adjusting water additions based on desired water temp at each mash step.  BeerSmith is good about informing you that the strike temp is above boiling when you reduce the water addition amount too low that it can't reach the desired step temp for infusion additions.  Very cool!

I have it all worked out now to try mashing with a multistep mash the way the Belgian's do.  The only part I'm unsure about is whether or not my original mash in water quantity is enough to submerse my grains completely in water.  Fingers crossed that I have it right!

-Robert

Hey - I'm in the same boat.  Did you work out the steps to do it?  I've done it through guesswork, but would like advice from someone who knows what they're doing!

Cheers

Multi step mashes are made much easier by using a stainless pot to mash in and heat with a burner. Each temperature step then only involves heating and stirring and allows you to use total mash water from the start if desired. You will find it difficult to hit second and third step temps with infusions when you have so little water to work with. Play around with infusion step temps and volumes in the recipe and the it will show you if (most likely) you cannot achieve the desired step temp even with boiling your infusion water for later steps.

I prefer 4 step temperature mashes with an acid rest, protein, sacc and mashout steps all done by heating. I preheat the strike water so the mash-in first step is an infusion, can adjust water amount to suit optimal water to grain ratios. I find I usually  add some  heated water plus burner heating the mash to get to the next step. The whole process is much easier- re :flexible-  when you are not limited by water addition volumes and can simply heat with a burner for each desired temperature step. 12 gallon stainless pots are not that expensive and can be fitted with an outlet valve, thermometer and bazooka screen easily, and a propane burner/cooking stand finishes your setup.

THis is interesting.  With modified malts now, what is the advantage of doing a step mash?

I did my first single step last month and it fermented fine, but if people are still doing the step mash is there any increase in final quality?

Also how do you find out if a malt is fully modified?  I looked at a couple of my malts and couldn't see either way in the spec sheet. 

Here are links to a couple of articles on malt specifications which cover your last question:

http://www.ibdlearningzone.org.uk/article/show/pdf/500/

https://byo.com/bock/item/1298-reading-the-malt-specs

Greetings Derek - you're right, with respect to malts now days being fully modified.  However, I believe this thread started some time ago with a guy wanting to do a multi-step mash for a Belgian Tripel.  In this particular beer, as you know, there are three grains used: Barley, Oats and Wheat in both Malted and Flaked form.  It's the flaked grains that require the multi-temperature mashing in order to extract the sugars.

I have a Belgian Tripel in the fermenter and I used a three step mash and a mash-out.  This is my second time brewing this recipe.  The first batch was outstanding.  In fact, the recipe is a Tripel Karmeleit (sp?) clone from Candi Syrup.

I hope this answers your question.

Back