• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

BeerSmith 2.3.5 Not working on Debian Jessie (stable)

theophae

Apprentice
Reaction score
Hi,

I tried to install the new version of BeerSmith 2.3.5 on my Debian stable, but I can't launch it. I tried to do it from a terminal, and it gave me that message :
Code:
beersmith2: /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libstdc++.so.6: version `GLIBCXX_3.4.21' not found (required by beersmith2)

I understand that I've not the right version of the gLibc, but I'm wondering whether this version is mandatory to run this new version. If this version has been chosen just to have the newest version and nothing more, I suggest you to run backwards and use an older version so that it keeps the same dependencies as the version 2.2.

I like BeerSmith, but I'm not happy with the new version if it forces me to upgrade to an unstable version of Debian. If you want me to test a package to see if its works, do not hesitate to tell me  ;)

Thanks!
  The build of 2.3.5 for Linux I posted is still a beta build and has some known issues, including the one you address.

I'm aware of the issue but wanted to have BeerSmith compiled with the latest Ubuntu which is 16.04 LTS.  I believe 16.04 LTS is the latest stable long term release and not a development build.

I also did recently load Ubuntu 14.04 LTS so I can compile it and be compatible with the older versions and I'm hoping to get that out shortly as well.  I'm working several issues around the Linux build over the next few days and hope to have additional builds as well as some fixes for the Linux version out shortly.

Brad

I'm not sure if it helps or not, but I'll throw my sys info in. I get the same error mentioned above. I'm running Linux Mint 17.3 KDE, which is based on Ubuntu Trusty. The c++ Library v3 installed is "4.8.4-2ubuntu1~14.04.3" If you need any other system info I'd be happy to share.

BeerSmith said:
  I'm aware of the issue but wanted to have BeerSmith compiled with the latest Ubuntu which is 16.04 LTS.  I believe 16.04 LTS is the latest stable long term release and not a development build.
To me, it is better to make the release with an old version of GCC (between 4.6 and 4.9) as BS should not need any of the specific addition of the newer versions. The code compiled with this version should also work with the new lib version as they are keeping compatibility.

I will be sure to have a version running with the old GCC compiled - probably under Ubuntu 14.04 LTS.  I'll work on it later this week!

Brad

Thanks! The Linux version has been MUCH appreciated!!

Back