• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Beersmith 2.3 mash ph temperature

enorfelt

New Forum Member
Reaction score
I love the new mash ph feature in 2.3. Just one question regarding it. Is the ph meant to measured at mash temperature or at room temperature?

As I understand, the mash ph changes depending on what temperature you measure it?
So at mash temperature it should roughly fall between 5.2 - 5.5 and at room temperature between 5.4 - 5.6.

Thank you in advance!

pH for the mash should always be measured at room temperature.  Yes, the pH can change with an increase in temperature, but any literature I have read states that having a pH from 5.2 to 5.6 at room temperature is better for enzyme activity and conversion of starches than being higher or lower.  Where this measurement ends up being at mash temperature, I don't know.

I agree its best if it is near room temperature.  What I do is extract a small sample and aerate it by stirring for a minute in a shallow dish which will cool it considerably before measuring.

Brad

KellerBrauer said:
This is an interesting subject - I recently have taken to use a refractometer which is supposed to be "temperature compensating".  Are you suggesting this is not an accurate measuring method?

these guys are talking pH, not gravity.  I have a TC refractometer as well but still cool the sample for a bit, not necessarily aiming for any temp in particular, but probably below 100 degrees.  I think I remember reading that they'll compensate within a certain range. 

BeerSmith said:
I agree its best if it is near room temperature.  What I do is extract a small sample and aerate it by stirring for a minute in a shallow dish which will cool it considerably before measuring.

Brad

I have been trying to sort this out as well.  I have read the PH of 5.2 is optimum but I thought that was at mash temp.  I recently watched Palmer's video with Northern Brewer and he was talking about the difference between room temp and mash temp and if I recall correctly the difference is what enorfelt wrote between room temp vs mash temp (5.2 - 5.5 and at room temperature between 5.4 - 5.6).

I just got a PH meter and I was documenting the PH values about every 20 minutes during the mash and then during the boil and prior to fermentation.  I let it cool to room temp prior to obtaining the PH value.  I was wondering if I needed to adjust the value based on mash temp (expected) verses room temp (obtained) to make sure I was hitting the 5.2 value.

Thanks for any clarification.

I was able to find the answer to my question above - essentially, "What PH do you enter into the beersmith program? The PH at mash temp or at room temp?"  In the article by Mark Riffe, A Homebrewing Perspective on Mash pH I: The Grain Bill, he writes,

"I realize that these are fighting words. If you look at any other
discussion of the subject of ideal mash pH you will likely see a
slightly different range quoted. However, the range of 5.2 to 5.6
appears to be reasonably uncontroversial. By the way, this range
applies to the pH of mash liquor that has cooled to near room
temperature, which is standard practice for measuring pH
."

Hope that helps anyone else with a similar question as mine.

Sorry to be late in replying, but pH measurements should ALWAYS to be taken at room temperature.  Those with ATC (auto temperature correction) correct the electronics of the pH probe for changes due to temperature but do NOT correct the pH reading of the fluid for room temperature. 

Back