• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

PSA: Windows 10 Users with Bitdefender Antivirus

orpheus82

New Forum Member
Reaction score
I updated to the latest Beersmith yesterday and was having a hell of a time trying to install it. It wouldn't write files to the documents folder, and I would have to keep reinstalling and reactivating the program and it still wouldn't work.

After hours of frustration, I got a notification about an issue in Bitdefender Antivirus. When I viewed the virus vault, it had BeerSmith listed in there as a ransomware program. I knew this was obviously a mistake and whitelisted BeerSmith in Bitdefender and everything is now working.

If you are having problems with file permissions, etc. and they won't readily resolve, check your antivirus program to make sure BeerSmith is not in your virus vault!

Thanks for the tip!

Unfortunately this is a common problem with new releases.  The antivirus programs don't know the new release is valid even though its a signed executable and they often will mark it bad.

The problem will resolve itself over a few days once enough people whitelist the program.

Brad

Back