• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Read and write errors after upgrade to latest 2.3.6

jcettina

New Forum Member
Reaction score
Getting these errors all the time

07:08:36: Failed to copy the file 'C:\Users\joec\Documents/BeerSmith2/Recipe4.bsmx' to 'C:\Users\joec\Documents/BeerSmith2/Recipe5.bsmx' (error 5: access is denied.)
07:08:36: File 'C:\Users\joec\Documents/BeerSmith2/Recipe4.bsmx' couldn't be renamed 'C:\Users\joec\Documents/BeerSmith2/Recipe5.bsmx' (error 5: access is denied.)

It looks like the program can't write to that file for some reason - likely file permissions.  It is a backup file (not strictly required) so you could either change the permissions on it or remove/rename it.  Close BeerSmith first however.

Brad

I did find out this may actually be caused by your antivirus software.  One user reports that adding BeerSmith to the trusted category in his antivirus software allowed the program to properly write to these files again and got rid of the error.

Brad

jcettina said:
Getting these errors all the time

07:08:36: Failed to copy the file 'C:\Users\joec\Documents/BeerSmith2/Recipe4.bsmx' to 'C:\Users\joec\Documents/BeerSmith2/Recipe5.bsmx' (error 5: access is denied.)
07:08:36: File 'C:\Users\joec\Documents/BeerSmith2/Recipe4.bsmx' couldn't be renamed 'C:\Users\joec\Documents/BeerSmith2/Recipe5.bsmx' (error 5: access is denied.)

Hey, I was getting this same error as well.  I was make it stop with a simple fix.  Try the following:

Open File Explorer
Navigate to Users>joec>Documents
Right click on BeerSmith2 and choose "Properties" (should be at the bottom of the menu that pops up)
You'll now be looking at a window called "BeerSmith2 Properties"
On the "General" tab, make sure the "Read Only" and "Hidden" options are not selected
Now click on the "Security" tab at the top of the window
Make sure your user has all of the permissions enabled.  If you don't, click the "Edit" button and make the appropriate changes.
Click "Apply" when done, and hopefully you have solved the issue!

Cheers,
Chris

Back