• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

New Water Tool

mblanks2

Apprentice
Reaction score
While looking into the new water tool and realizing the shear power that this tool has to offer I ran across the http://beersmith.com/blog/2016/04/06/should-you-treat-your-sparge-water-for-home-brewing/ link. I, as you state you are Brad am a believer in salt additions in mash and sparge water.
With that said I do not see the option to utilize salts in the sparge water. Also, I as most people I believe, do not use chalk anymore due to the fact that it doesn't blend well in the hot liquor. Therefor, I wonder is there a way to turn chalk as option off when using the Match Target Profile button and add Sparge Water recommendations to the water tool.
While I also see the Estimated Mash PH and I do understand that this is water and grain only, where would one find the estimated Mash PH with acid additions or do we rely solely on the Target PH field as being so?
Beautiful extremely powerful tool. Would love to be able to utilize for sparge water salt additions and eliminate chalk though.

mblanks2 said:
While looking into the new water tool and realizing the shear power that this tool has to offer I ran across the http://beersmith.com/blog/2016/04/06/should-you-treat-your-sparge-water-for-home-brewing/ link. I, as you state you are Brad am a believer in salt additions in mash and sparge water.
With that said I do not see the option to utilize salts in the sparge water. Also, I as most people I believe, do not use chalk anymore due to the fact that it doesn't blend well in the hot liquor. Therefor, I wonder is there a way to turn chalk as option off when using the Match Target Profile button and add Sparge Water recommendations to the water tool.
While I also see the Estimated Mash PH and I do understand that this is water and grain only, where would one find the estimated Mash PH with acid additions or do we rely solely on the Target PH field as being so?
Beautiful extremely powerful tool. Would love to be able to utilize for sparge water salt additions and eliminate chalk though.

Any comments at all?

Greetings, I have only two suggestions for your question.

1) if the Match Target adds Calcium Carbonate (chalk) to the mash water, simply zero out the automatic entry if you prefer not using it.

2) Read the book Water - A Comprehensive Guide For Brewers, by John Palmer.

Water is an extremely complex ingredient in brewing and the above named book attempts to break it down so the brewer can make sense of it.  You may find the $13 investment worthwhile.

Good luck!

KellerBrauer said:
Greetings, I have only two suggestions for your question.

1) if the Match Target adds Calcium Carbonate (chalk) to the mash water, simply zero out the automatic entry if you prefer not using it.
This is what I did to achieve the same concentration of Ca.

2) Read the book Water - A Comprehensive Guide For Brewers, by John Palmer.
Read this when it was first released as well as Hops, Malt and Yeast. I'm not new to water, I'm new to this tool. I've been using Bru'n water for about 3 years and RO water. Just trying to figure out this tool.
Water is an extremely complex ingredient in brewing and the above named book attempts to break it down so the brewer can make sense of it.  You may find the $13 investment worthwhile.

Good luck!

As for the second question, I believe Brad has already posted else where that he would rather the brewer take a pH reading after the dough in and adjust according instead of estimating with just the grain bill.  He suggest using the pH adjust tool based on an actual reading

My concern is, it take 10-15 for the pH to stabilize and by then, your conversion could be 50% done

Good luck
Rick

Rick,
  If you don't want to take a pH measurement you can always just enter the estimate into the measurement field and get the acid adjustment based on the estimate. 

Brad

Back