• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Printing Recipe and Brew Steps messed up in 2.3.6

sintral

New Forum Member
Reaction score
Not sure what changed, but the print outs now have a border around them and the header information word wraps on quite a few fields.

Yes, I have noticed the same issue.  I like the new acid addition information in the Brew sheet, but I don't care for the way the sheet prints.  I tried correcting it, but to no avail.

Working this issue - hope to have a fix shortly.  On some platforms you can go to print preview and adjust the scaling percentage which does help.

Brad

On the Mac version what used to fit on 1 page a a few lines on page 2 now takes 3 pages to print - text is much larger and loads of white / unused space.

Fitting on one page would be ideal to then check off the steps on a brew day...

I posted some fixes as 2.3.7 beta here.  It should fix the printouts.  I hope to have it final next week:
  http://www.beersmith.com/forum/index.php/topic,15199.0.html

Brad

I have installed 2.3.7, but the printout looks like the border is removed and that's about it. Font is still huge, and the printout looks like one of those large print books for people who have vision problems. Honestly, it's unusable. The brewday sheets with the last version (was it 2.2?) were great. I hope this can be fixed, I've used BeerSmith for years, and want to continue to be able to.

I am using it on a mac (10.10.5).

I agree with the above.  I liked the 2 page brewsheet as I could print front and back.  A 1 page would be even better!

Yep, I have to agree - Printing is broken with the large fonts.  I went back to the old version until it's fixed.  :(

I just downloaded the new version 2.3.7 and my printing problems have been corrected!  Thanks!!

Just got prompted today to download and install Brewsmith 2.3.7 for the Mac. After the install, I was running over to the store to pick up grain for a Stout, printed out the recipe sheet and discovered the enlarge recipe printout. Not good. Only printed the first page and that worked for today, but it's not looking good at all.

For developer info: hardware - 21.5" iMac, late 2012 model, running Mac OS X 10.11.6.

As an additional followup, it was mentioned that you could output to print preview and adjust the scaling but that is not an available option on Mac OS X. I've tried outputting as a PDF and then adjusting the scaling there, but that just shrinks the page view, but the same number of pages are used. It's a brew day and the Brew Steps pages are a real problem for print out.

I would like to downgrade but am not finding a download available for an older version. Is there an ftp site or a location on the BeerSmith site where I can get a previous version?

I have a Mac and the 2.3.7 version font print size is too large.  3 pages now for something that used to only take a little over 2, and the title does not fit on the page, and there is so much white space left around the text.
Is this going to be fixed?

Is this on the radar to be fixed, or is it going to stay with these printouts as they are? For Mac users, the printouts  are basically unusable. I just want to plan ahead, if I should wait and know a fix is coming soon, or start looking for alternatives. Thanks

Mac user here too. Brew steps printout is far too large and basically unusable for me. 3 sheets instead of the usual 2.

Well, now it is soon december and I still can´t use the reports from my MAC. Is it that hard to change the font size in the reports?

This problem is getting very tiresome. I'm a mac user, running 2.3.7 and the printouts are still basically unusable. It would be an upgrade to revert back to a much earlier version. I've taken to printing my recipe sheets two pages per side so that at least I can see the entire recipe at once, even if I have to squint at it.

Same as above, Mac user and printout remains basically useless. Any news on fitting this issue?
Thanks
Elz

I have the same issue on v2.3.7 for Mac, but I found a workaround. I chose to let the BrewSmith2 application prepare a "print PDF preview" for a larger paper size than I really have, and before actually printing I set the printer's paper size down to regular size again.

1. Go to printing preferences for your printer and set A3  as default paper size. Close the preferences window.
2. Open BrewSmith2 to print recipe, on the print window you should now see the proper text size relative to the paper.
3. Select "PDF | Open PDF in Preview " in the lower left corner of the print page. And keep the Preview application open.
4. Go back to printing preferences for your printer and set A4  as default paper size. Close the preferences window.
5. Switch back to the PDF Preview application in step 3, and print from there. Fingers crossed, you should get a useful printout....

Tip: First time I tried it I had not closed the preferences window in step 4, thus the printing in step 5 still believed I had an A3 capable printer, and the printout was just an enlarged section of the recipe.

Hopefully this will all be fixed properly before long :)

Cheers,
Karl

Try the "open beta" version in the thread that is "stickied" to the top of this board.  That version (2.3.12 or higher) has a drop down on the preview window pane in My Recipes view that lets you adjust the font size as a percentage.  This lets you adjust your printouts to a larger degree.

It also has a new feature to let you print to browser under Options->Reports which would give you control over margins if needed.

Brad

Same issues here with BS 2.3.7 and OS X El Cap 10.11.6.

If I select print preview, the font is too large.
If I select print, blank pages come up in Print Preview, but I noticed a file (bsxtmp_1826808409.htm) in BeerSmith2/Reports folder that is exactly right - single page, correct recipe, good font size.  So, seems the engine is working correctly, but not linked quite right

Thx

Back