• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Beersmith 2.3 Fermentation Readings

Off2Race

Apprentice
Reaction score
Hi, Brad. I installed Beersmith 2.3 this week and am enjoying the new features. Thanks for a great update.

I just brewed a new beer last week, so the timing is great to try out the new Fermentation Readings option. I'm impressed with the feature overall, but I'm struggling a bit with one thing. When I enter a reading, I have to know what both the Temperature and Gravity are. I have very good control of the temperature, but I don't take gravity readings every day. So I'm forced to either "guess" at the SG or use the previous reading, neither of which is very accurate. Why not allow the Gravity to be optional? In your graph, you could then interpolate between only the readings that are actually entered and not worry about the others. Probably makes sense to do the same with Temperature as well, but I can't really see a reason why I'd have an SG reading without Temp too.

Or perhaps you intended it to work this way and thus have some advice for how I should be making these readings?

Thanks again for the great software!

Actually I had in mind new devices like the beer bug that let you measure time and temp almost continuously, but yes I do understand your dilemma.  I personally measure them only about once a day.  I'll see if I can add some kind of "no reading" or Null value to a future update!

Brad

The  new graphing function is fantastic and using a refractometer makes SG readings easy and relatively accurate once you get the hang of it. I have noticed something a bit odd recently. After a while readings added in the Fermentation Readings table do not translate over to the graph. Has that got something to do with the underlying data range the graph is set to monitor and if so can that be expanded?

I have not yet been using the fermentation chart on the sessions tab, but I suspect that it may not be charting data once it is outside the range of the fermentation profile which is set. 

Back