• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Cannot connect to server when attempting upgrade

slusk

Apprentice
Reaction score
Hi all,
Receiving a message when I open Beersmith that the update is available and wants to install in the background. When I agree to allow, I get an error that says "Cannot connect to server".
I tried adding Beersmith to my approved list in windows (windows 7 -  32bit) firewall but no good.
I tried disabling the firewall... still nothing.
Any ideas?

Thanks,
Steve

I'm getting the same problem.  I have subsequently tried to download the update from the web page, it does, but then Norton removes it when you try to install.  Looking back through the forum history it seems that there is an ongoing problem with Norton.

There are ways of getting round it if that is indeed your problem too.  Search on "Norton" in the forum if that is the case.

The simple workaround is to just go to BeerSmith.com and download the update from the main
download page.  There are upgrade instructions near the bottom of the page.

For your antivirus you may need to "whitelist" or make the program trusted.  Since it is a new release, a lot of the antivirus programs are marking it as "unknown" until enough people whitelist the program.  This is a problem we've had for some time as BeerSmith has a fairly small user base compared to some commercial software and it often takes time for the antivirus programs to mark it as "good" after an update.

Back