Author Topic: Help with electric brewing RIMS tube  (Read 3770 times)

Offline klondikekd

• BeerSmith New Brewer
  • BeerSmith 2 Rocks!
Help with electric brewing RIMS tube
« on: August 16, 2016, 03:41:18 PM »
So I did a search of the forums and did not find anything on this issue, if I overlooked it I am sorry for making a new thread.

I have made myself a rims tube and a controller 1500w element with a fairly standard PID/SSR setup to pump out 115v. I did my first wet test with 3 gallons to see how well the system operated. I ran the system for 30 minutes at about a 2gpm flow rate. This raised the temperature in the 10 gallon pot from 65F to 71F. This seems poor for such a setup. Tested the element and output of the controller with a multi-meter the element reads the correct resistance and the output in the controller is 114v. I cannot think why it heats so poorly does anyone have an idea on where I should start looking?  Or is this normal?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Offline Brewitall

• BeerSmith Apprentice Brewer
  • BeerSmith 2 Rocks!
Re: Help with electric brewing RIMS tube
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2016, 02:12:07 PM »
So 5 min/degree.  Have you considered putting a valve on your output and gating down the flow rate to see if you can get better heat transfer? 

KellerBrauer

Re: Help with electric brewing RIMS tube
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2016, 06:45:20 AM »
Greetings.  Your description leaves out some variables that may help solve your question.  But let's do some math:

You raised 10 gallons of water from 65° to 71° (6° rise) in 30 minutes using a 1.5k heating element, correct?

Questions:
1) how long are the transfer lines? (The longer the lines the more heat loss you will have)
2) are the transfer lines insulated? (Non-insulated lined will loose heat quickly)
3) are you sure the heating element is actually putting out 1500 watts?  (You would need an amp probe to determine this. A 1500 watt resistance element should draw 13.03 amps at 115v.)
4) what is the ambient temperature? (The cooler the serounding, the greater the heat loss)

I was using a 1500 watt hot plate type heater under my hot liquor kettle and it took two + hours to bring 8 gallons of water from 60° to 170° (110° rise). But that's a hot plate with no circulation and the heat source directly under the load.

Just some thoughts.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2016, 03:39:04 PM by KellerBrauer »