• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

2.3 update massively changed estimated FG and ABV

maltklaus

Apprentice
Reaction score
Ever since the 2.3 update, existing recipes show heavily changed estimated FG (differing up to 1°P) and correspondingly also changed ABV. For example there's one recipe I brewed last year which finished at 2.5°P (and the calculation was in that ballpark, when I look at my printout I used back then) but now Beersmith calculates an estimated FG of 4.3°P - clearly very wrong. i have not changed anything in either the recipes or the equipment. Anyone experiencing a similar issue? I'm currently planning two brewdays next week but at the moment I can't reliably use Beersmith to do the calculations.

YES, I augmented the mash/Fg parameters in the settings to match the old recipes.

What is the mash temperature you used?  I did change the FG estimates to handle mash temp adjustments over a wider range which can change the FG if you are brewing with a low or high temperature conversion step during the mash.

Brad

Hi Brad,

for the 2.5°P beer I mentioned the mash schedule is as follows:

- mash in at 60°C
- 11 minutes at 62°C
- 5 minutes at 64°C
- 90 minutes at 70°C
- mash out at 77°C

This yielded a 2.5°P FG beer (OG 13.7). Beersmith 2.2 calculated a FG of about 2.6°P (off the top of my head - it was only marginally off of what I achieved) and an OG of 13.65 which I also almost hit spot-on with 13.5. Now Beersmith 2.3 calculates an OG of 13.65, which is unchanged, but a FG of 4.339, which is way off...

Grains are 50% Pils 50% Munich with just a touch of rye for spice (marginal)

Back