• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Failed update

majkeli

Apprentice
Reaction score
I'm not sure why, but when I updated this morning I was still using the old build after restarting.  I looked in the update folder and saw the new .exe and help.zip so I copied them over into the app folder. It looks like doing that invalidated my registration.

I'm guessing I restarted Beersmith before the new files were copied over?  Is there an "Update Complete" notification?  I don't recall ever having seen one even prior to this update.

After doing the above Beersmith can't find some of it's files, I guess that wasn't the right way to do it.  :(

Hi,
  Its best not to directly copy items over from the Updates directory.  There was a bug that prevented some people from getting the automatic update notification, which is one reason I sent out the update notification yesterday.

At this time I'm recommending a manual update (follow the instructions from the downloads page) for those who don't have the latest version.

In your case, I would recommend the following:

1) Make a complete copy of your BeerSmith directory (C:\Program Files\BeerSmith) to make sure you don't lose any data first!
  2) Try manually updating by downloading the latest version from our downloads page and installing it using the update instructions there.
  3) If that still fails, try removing your old C:\Program Files\BeerSmith directory (Keep the backup copy!) and reinstalling
  4) After reinstalling, import your recipes (Recipes.bsm) and other data (Hops.bsm, etc...) into BeerSmith using Import and Merge to get everything back where it was.

Cheers!
Brad

Back