• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Trub/fermenter transfer losses question

timtoos

Apprentice
Reaction score
Hi,

I have a question regards trub/fermenter transfer losses.

Yesterday I did a brew - planned brew length of 23 @ 1054 gravity.

Pre boil volume was 27 litres and this was correct.  End of boils beersmith estimated 23 litres (I have a 4 litre boil off for 60 minutes).  This 23 litres was also correct.

I have 3 litre transfer losses set - so I expected 20 litres into fermenter - which was correct and I hit my required gravity of 1054.  Why does beersmith calculate the batch volume should've 23 litres?  It knows the transfer losses are 3 litres!

I have my efficiency set at 70%.  I use a braumeister and do the usual biab type brewing (no spare)

I've looked through the parameter settings but can't find a way to adjust.

Any ideas?

I'm confused.  If you set your batch volume to 20 liters, that is what BeerSmith uses as the final volume into the fermentor.  Water volumes are calculated backwards from that number.  If BeerSmith is showing you a batch size of 23 liters, then you have set that as your target volume in your recipe and/or your equipment profile.

If you are looking at post boil volume, then that would be your fermentor volume (20 liters) plus your loss to trub and chiller (3 liters) which will add up to your 23 liters.  That is post boil volume and not batch volume though.

Back