• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Help with multi stage mash recipe

belluzzo

Apprentice
Reaction score
Hey all,

I am new to this software, and am sure there is a simple answer to my question. Hope someone can help me out. I've had no problem to get recipes using simpler mash profiles into Beersmith, i.e OG, FG, IBUs, etc are all in the ballpark of the figures given in the original recipe. Now I've spent hours trying to get this Belgian Tripel recipe rigth, but just could not:

http://www.theelectricbrewery.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=28755

I put the mash schedule in a profile, but then FG goes to 1.008. IBU's and color are also off. Volumes are all fine, as I set evaporation rate to 1.9 gal/hour to match the recipe author's equipment.

I've tried it on brewersfriend online recipe tool and the recipe seems to be right. I figure the problem is the mash profile, but did not find any clue on how to fix it. Could any of you help me out and tell me what am I doing wrong.

Thanks,

Walter.

Greetings Bell,

I had the same problems when I recently brewed a triple where I needed a protein rest, two sacch rests and a mash out.

First and foremost, you need to make sure your equipment profile is actual to your equipment.  You don't want to change it simply because you need to match a recipe.  Your equipment is what it is. Your brew house is what it is.

There is a mash profile in BS that I used as my "template".  It's a Double Infusion, Full Body.  I simply added another sacch rest and I had it.  That said, you will have to adjust your target temperatures and times according to your recipe, but BS has the starting point.

Now, as you are changing your temperatures and times, you will most likely have an error due high temperature water.  Don't fear, simply add more water in the Water/Grain Ratio box of the Step that errors out.  It took some playing, but it works.  My mash was spot on with all 4 steps!

I just shared my recipe.  Called: KB's Tripel Karma Lite (pun intended). Download it and use my mash profile if you like.

http://beersmithrecipes.com/viewrecipe/1200600/kbs-tripel-karma-lite?uniqid=57c377207fe8e

Good luck and let us know how it turned out!!!

Thanks for the detailed information, I really appreciate. I will try and see if I can get this right.

My equipment is exactly as his, I built it using his specifications. Even though there may be small variations, I suppose that matching the figures in his recipes is a good start.

Best, W.

PS.: Could not find your recipe.

Greetings Bell - my apologies. I made my recipe private again.  I typically don't make my recipes public because they are still very much a work in progress.  I put it out there so you can see how to set up the mash profile you were asking about....I thought you had it by now.  Okay, I put it back out.  However, it won't be there long so check it out.

Let me know if you have any additional questions! Good luck!!!

Back