• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Yeast starter

K

KellerBrauer

Greetings,

I preparing to brew a tropical stout (BJCP 13c, 2015).  My OG target is 1.075. My question is regarding the yeast starter.  I would like to have the opportunity to use more than one smack pack of yeast and I don't seem to have that option.  BS says I should make A 3+ liter starter.  Well my flask is not that big.  At best I can manage, in my 2000 mL flask, is a 1500 mL starter without fear of a blow-out.

I have been using Mr. Malty for my starter calculations which gives me the option of adding more yeast and reducing the size of the starter.  But am I missing something in BS?  I like the new yeast tools and calculators, but I can't seem to change the number of packs other than in the recipe.

Any ideas?

It is not so obvious from the yeast starter tab, but go to the design tab, highlight the yeast and click on "increase amount".  Now the yeast starter tab will reflect the amount of yeast from two packets.

Okay - I followed your suggestion, but to no avail.  See attached jpegs.  BS is stating I need a 3700 mL starter.  Who has a beaker that large?  I have to be missing something.  I had 2 packs of yeast listed in the ingredients list all along. Now I click the "Increase Item" button and it increases the item count, but does not change the count in the starter tab.  I'm overlooking something.

Attachments

• starter1.jpg
    starter1.jpg
    115.8 KB · Views: 369
  • starter.jpg
    starter.jpg
    99.5 KB · Views: 390
KellerBrauer said:
BS is stating I need a 3700 mL starter.  Who has a beaker that large?

I do, I do!  I'd offer to let you borrow it, but I'm sure we're not down the street from each other ;)

Thanks toots, but not really much help.  I might just have to keep using Mr. Malty until I get this figured out in BS.  I have not ever made a lager with a OG this high.

I can see where the confusion comes in.  If you are looking at the recommended starter section, that does not reset with the number of yeast packs.  However, when you look at the yeast counts needed section, you will see the change in the amount of yeast cells available.  When you look down at the 'liquid starter used' section, you can input your starter size and it will start using the actual number of yeast packs you have on the design page. 

From there you will need to input the starter size and get the amount of projected cell growth in that section.

It looks like from your required cell count and the size of your beaker, that you probably need to step up at least twice to reach that cell count.  Generally, I do this by making the first starter , cold crashing it after a couple of days and then swirl it up to a slurry.  I pour half of the slurry into a sanitized flask and repeat the starter with the other half.

Another good calculator which will allow you to input multiple step starters is at https://www.brewunited.com/yeast_calculator.php

Attachments

• BDS 1 pack starter tab.JPG
    BDS 1 pack starter tab.JPG
    57.6 KB · Views: 354
  • BDS 2 pack starter tab.JPG
    BDS 2 pack starter tab.JPG
    60.1 KB · Views: 294
Okay.  I think I understand. I admit I have never stepped up the starter before so this will be interesting.  Thanks for your help!

One of the things to be careful of when stepping up with such a high yeast count is that the amount of yeast needed to 'seed' the starter cannot be so much that it inhibits the creation of new yeast cells. 

Thanks Oginme.  I understand.  As they say in the NFL, "after further review" I have decided to simply buy a larger flask.  My local distributer has them for around $40.  I'm brewing Saturday and I'm afraid I don't have the knowledge or experience to do a stepped starter as you suggest.  Perhaps some day I will learn, but I'm not there yet.

But, thank you sir for all your help.  I've learned a lot from our discussion.

I learned a lot about stepping up starters this past year.  I had begun plating my yeasts and growing several colonies back up to a pitchable size involves a lot of stepping up!

And are you sure the Mfg date of the yeast packets are correct set in BS?  If the date is way old, it will assume a very low viability and thus require such a large starter

Rick

Greetings Toy - yes, the viability dates have all been entered.  This yeast was manufactured on the 10th of August.

I decided to go ahead and purchase a 5000 mL flask specifically for this brew.  Alternatively, I can step the yeast starters as Oginme suggested, or buy 4 more packs of yeast (@ $8.00ea.) and not make a starter at all.  The additional yeast is nearly the same cost as a new flask so buying the flask makes more sense.  But thanks for the suggestion!

Back