• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Hop cones vs Hop pellets

Squid2016

Apprentice
Reaction score
I going to wet hop for the first time.  Does BeerSmith account for absorption and weight difference between pellets and cones?  I've read that for every 1oz of pellets you should use an equivalent of 5oz of hop cones. I noticed that software does let you choose between pellet, plug, leaf, hop extract (co2), and extract (isomerized).

The software does differentiate between pellets, leaf, extract, plug, and isomerized extract.  Most of the hops in the ingredient profiles are set up as pellet.  Open up the ingredient profile and select the hop you have.  There is a drop down menu for the type.

You can copy the specific hop you have and reset the type to 'leaf' to get the utilization set for that hop type.  BeerSmith does not account for the water absorption for the different type of hops (that I know of).

Back