• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Grain absorption rate fl oz / oz

pretzelb

Brewer
Reaction score
I feel like a math idiot right now but if the rate in BS for grain absorption rate is measured in fl oz / oz, how do you convert from gallons per pound? I do full volume BIAB so I know my starting water volume and starting mash volume in gallons. Last batch I had 2.4 gallons absorbed for 25.75 lbs of grain. That gives a gal/lb rate of .093. The default for BIAB is .586 fl oz / oz and I'm stumped how to convert and see if I'm close to that or not. I'm not sure why the rate isn't in gal / lb in the first place.

pretzelb said:
Last batch I had 2.4 gallons absorbed for 25.75 lbs of grain. That gives a gal/lb rate of .093. The default for BIAB is .586 fl oz / oz and I'm stumped how to convert and see if I'm close to that or not. I'm not sure why the rate isn't in gal / lb in the first place.

It's a smaller increment of measuring, so it's more accurate than gal/lb.

1 gallon= 128 oz
1 lb = 16 oz

2.4 gal = 307.2 fl oz
25.75 lbs = 412 oz

307.2/412 = .746 fl oz/oz

Here's a little trick for converting units that I learned 50+ years ago... (Man, typing that made me feel old :()

Structure the problem like a string of fractions being multiplied.  Start with what you know and multiply by as many conversion factors (written as fractions) as you need to make units cancel out until you have the desired units left at the end.  Like so with your problem...

2.4 gal        128 fl oz        1 lb                    fl oz
--------  x  ----------  x  -------  =  0.746  -----
25.75 lb        1 gal          16 oz                    oz

Gallons in the numerator cancel out gallons in the denominator, pounds in the numerator cancel out pounds in the denominator, crank the numbers through a calculator and you are left with the number of fl oz / oz.

There's a nice tutorial about this method here...

http://brownmath.com/bsci/convert.htm

OK, my brain was just not working for a while there. For some reason I kept thinking the rate would end up the same until I plugged in the values for 1 gal and 1 lb. That translates to 1 gal/lb while for fl oz / oz ends up as 8 (128/16). Now it makes sense.

However I have no idea why this value is entered in this manner. Seems like extra work for no benefit. You're not going to measure your water in fluid oz so why not use gallons? If you want to calculate the water absorbed for a certain amount of grains you have to convert until you get a number that is useful.

Back