• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Moving from one HD to another

MTBrewer

Master Brewer
Reaction score
So, I have a question ..... or two ....
1.) I currently have/am using a paid-for version of Beersmith 2 for Windows, (which I appreciate immensely, BTW), I am in the process of changing from a HDD to an SSD which will be installed in the same laptop! Do I have to buy beersmith2 again in order to transfer it, or is there a way to copy/burn it and re-install on the new hard drive? NOTE: I'm pretty much a computer illiterate, so be easy on me please  ::)
2.)  I also plan to use the Linux app, on another laptop - so I'm wondering if anyone out there in Internet-land has been using the Linux version of BeerSmith 2, and how well it might work with Debian 8 (I looked at the website, and it says for Ubuntu, which is a deriv of Debian). I know I'll have to buy another version :(, because they are different file systems, etc, but I, being a cheapo, would like to avoid buying another copy since I've already invested in the one version, it will be going on a different laptop - I'm dual-booting Windows 7 and Debian 8 on one laptop, and Win 10 and MX-15 on the other laptop ;>). Any ideas/comments?
I've updated this post because I bought another laptop.

Hi,
  1) You can use the File->Change Documents directory to move data to another directory.  Create the new directory first, but leave it empty as the program will move the data over for you.
  2) I've not done much with Debian and I'm not sure how well it would work - you could certain give the existing one a try as it might be OK (Ubuntu is a debian build), though there are subtle differences between which libraries are included with the different linux builds.

Brad

Back