• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Need help with wiring diagram for a PID and RIMS

Allen Brown

Apprentice
Reaction score
Hey Guys,

I am a rookie with wiring diagrams, so I need a little direction. I have a single PID (SYL-2352) running a RIMS tube. What I'm trying to set up is a box with 3 switches. The first switch will turn the whole system on. The second switch will allow the SSR to bring power to the heating element. The third switch will allow me to manually switch on the circulating pump.

I have a 5,000W 240V heating element running on 120V, so effectively 1,375W @ 120V.

My switches are Radio Shack DPDT Heavy Duty Toggle Switches rated at 10A @ 125V AC.

My first question is, are these switches strong enough for the job?

My second question is, Does my wiring diagram look right?

PID%20PROPOSED%203.jpg

Greetings Allen,

A couple issues come to mind:  First, I'm not sure how a 5000w heating element will be reduced to a 1375w heating element simply but reducing the voltage by half. So I guess I would need more detail on that issue. However, assuming your correct and a 5000w heater will operate at 1375w by reducing the voltage, than the answer to your question about the switch being large enough is no. Ohms law states: Voltage X Amperage = Wattage.  Therefore Wattage / Voltage = Amperage.

5000W / 240V = 20.83A
1375W / 120V = 11.45A

Your switch is rated at 10 amps @ 120v so it's too small.  Your SSR and PID will also need to be rated for at least 15 amps for the heater being the heater is being fed through these devices.

Second, I would need to know exactly what the PID terminal diagram is in order to tell you if your diagram is correct.  Third, I'm not sure what your "SSR" is, it's function in your circuit and also what it's terminal diagram is.  Fourth, you said you want switch 1 to turn the whole system on. Your diagram, however, illustrates otherwise.  Switch 1 only energizes terminal 9 of your PID. Switch 3, terminal 13 and your SSR are energized all the time.  Lastly, if you're going to build a "black box" type device, I would highly recommend fusing the individual circuits or at the very least, the box itself.

These are some observations.  I hope they help.

Good luck!

Back