• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

IBU Calculations

Tomgm14

Apprentice
Reaction score
Hi,

I have so far only brewed all grain, but today I wanted to knock something out quickly so I decided to to a small batch using DME (12L batch using 2kg light DME).

When I was formulating my recipe, I noticed that a "normal" amount of bittering hops didn't give me anywhere near the IBUs I was looking for. Secondly, when i moved the batch size to 23L, it gave me a much more expected IBU figure.

Can someone explain what's happening here? I'm probably missing some fundamental point re: utilisation, but I'd love to understand what's happening.

Here is my recipe for reference:

2kg Light DME
30g Bravo (60min, 15.8%AA)
20g Cascade (10min, 8%AA)
15g Cascade (W/P, 8%AA)

With the batch size set to 12L, Beersmith gives me 17.8 IBU, but when I set it to 23L, it gives me 54.8 IBU.

Cheers!

Something similar happened to me this morning when calculating IBUs for a small beer with only DME.

The DME seemingly took the utilization to 0 for some reason because when I took out all of the DME from the recipe - IBUs were appropriately high but when adding the DME back the IBUs went right back down to 0.

I PM'd Beersmith on this forum and will await an answer here.

I just downloaded BeerSmith 3 for iPad and started entering recipes for small 2 gallon batches using Mr Beer HMEs as published in the add-on. Once I got the equipment profile and batch size more or less dialed in, I found the IBU calculations were WAY OFF.

After some analysis, it looks like BeerSmith assumes a 1 lb can size and extrapolates the IBU of the extract accordingly to get their gal/lb IBU number.  The only solution for me at this point was to do the math and plug the right number in. I took the Mr Beer published IBU number, multiplied it by gallon batch size (2 in this case) and divided it by can weight of 1.87lbs. I plugged that number in, and BeerSmith happily gives me the correct numbers now.

Back