• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Feature Req.: Mash pH Base Additions

jmhw

Apprentice
Reaction score
I'm a paying user of your software. I like it very much, especially because it's so configurable. But I find a very glaring hole in its features, at least as far as I can see: no base addition feature to increase mash pH. For example, for a recipe using lots of dark roast malts and RO water. Is there a reason it’s not included?

Would BeerSmith developers be willing to add a "Mash pH Base Additions" section to the "Mash" tab for each recipe, and the "Mash pH Adjustment" tool? (Just like you have for the "Mash pH Acid Additions.")

If you will add this feature, will you please include potassium hydroxide, calcium hydroxide, sodium bicarbonate, and solubilized calcium carbonate (e.g., dissolved in a keg with CO2)? Ideally allowing a user to enter their purities (and density, concentration for liquids) as well.

Using a base solution, rather than solid, at a standard concentration is okay as an option, but I’d rather not be forced to do so.

Moderator: I just noticed there's a suggestions section, which is where I should have made this topic. Will someone please move this topic there?

Back