• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

First Batch finally ready for tasting

G

gtox

I have couple of questions on my first batch I hope maybe with your experiences maybe you can help me understand what may have happened.

First I am making a white wheat (wit) 1 week in the first 1 week in the second carboy, 1 week in the bottle all at recommended temperatures

the wheat has a head on it like a Macy's day parade. No off tastes, no on tastes, I mean it's a bit high in alcohol I can taste that but just nothing that jumps out at me. No orange, coriander etc.

Any ideas or suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks all.

Not sure - can you post the recipe?

I've used the following Wit Recipe with a lot of success.

Thanks,
Brad

Ingredients:
------------
Amount        Item                                      Type        % or IBU     
6.64 lb      Wheat Liquid Extract (8.0 SRM)            Extract      76.74 %     
0.50 lb      Pilsner (2 Row) Bel (2.0 SRM)            Grain        5.81 %       
0.50 lb      White Wheat Malt (2.4 SRM)                Grain        5.81 %       
2.00 oz      Hallertauer [4.80 %]  (60 min)            Hops        33.4 IBU     
0.50 oz      Coriander Seed (Boil 15.0 min)            Misc                     
0.50 oz      Orange Peel, Bitter (Boil 15.0 min)      Misc                     
0.50 oz      Orange Peel, Sweet (Boil 15.0 min)        Misc                     
1.00 tsp      Irish Moss (Boil 15.0 min)                Misc                     
1.00 tsp      Yeast Nutrient (Primary 7.0 days)        Misc                     
2.00 oz      Passionfruit Extract (Bottling 5.0 min)  Misc                     
1.01 lb      Candi Sugar, Amber (75.0 SRM)            Sugar        11.63 %     
5.00 gal      Portland OR                              Water                 

gtox said:
I have couple of questions on my first batch I hope maybe with your experiences maybe you can help me understand what may have happened.

First I am making a white wheat (wit) 1 week in the first 1 week in the second carboy, 1 week in the bottle all at recommended temperatures

the wheat has a head on it like a Macy's day parade. ]No off tastes, no on tastes, I mean it's a bit high in alcohol I can taste that but just nothing that jumps out at me. No orange, coriander etc.

Any ideas or suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks all.

Sounds like you did a good job for your first time. I still have a few bottles from my first batch not because im ageing it but it wasnt really that good.

Looks good!

As far as feedback, unless you are doing a partial mash the Pilsner and White Wheat Malts won't help you at all.  They both need to be mashed.  Also a pound of candi sugar and the passion extract probably overwhelmed the Orange Peel and Coriander.  Typically Candi sugar is associated with other Belgian ales, but not Witbier.

Other than that - the recipe looks fine!  Congratulations on your first brew!

Brad

Back