• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

possible bug with sparging

Browndog

Apprentice
Reaction score
zSince updating to the latest version of beersmith something funny is going on with my mash profiles. I used to always batch sparge in two equal volumes after draining the tun, now, when creating a new recipe, I can't get this to happen, I either get two sparges of different amounts or I get one single sparge. I've gone in and edited the mash profile and ticked the boxes for sparge using equal size batches and drain the mash tun before starting to sparge and this has not helped. Is this a bug or am I doing something wrog here.

cheers

Browndog

Hi,
  Could you email a copy of the recipe to me in BSM format?  The only time I've seen this behavior (so far) is when you are very close to (or over) the capacity of your mash tun to begin with. 

However, I would like to take a look at this!

BTW - we did change the default batch sparge mash profiles to use equal runnings batch sparging (don't drain before doing it) which is considered optimal for a batch sparge.  Still you should be able to check the box for "Drain mash tun..." in the mash profile and go back to the old settings.

Thanks,
Brad

I finally sorted this out, I had 90% in the "% of mash tun volume" in the mash profile, when I knocked this back to 70% my sparge volumes level out.

cheers

Browndog

Back