• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

forced carbonation

G

Greg

I been kegging for abit over 12months now and have always had a forced carbonation pressure
of 220kpa over a 2 day period and this always worked for me.

I bought the beersmith program the other week everything is great but I'm unsure of the carbonation
pressure that is suggested. At the lower pressures does this mean I have to carbonate for a longer period. ???

The period of time to carbonate is not displayed at all in that section of the program or anywhere else either.

Cheers
Greg

Greg,
  It varies, but I usually just put my keg in the fridge with between 10 and 12 psi of pressure (normal serving pressure) and let it sit for about a week.  After a week I get full carbonation. 

If you want to carbonate faster, you can turn the pressure up for a few days and then adjust it down to serving pressure.

Cheers,
Brad

Great thanks Brad.

It might be nice to add to the next update of the program the time period
for a given carbonation ratio. If this is possible.

Cheers  ;D
Greg

Greg said:
Great thanks Brad.

It might be nice to add to the next update of the program the time period
for a given carbonation ratio. If this is possible.

Cheers  ;D
Greg

I agree... carbonate at what pressure and temperature and for how long.

It would be even better to have a grid so that you could see several different options. For example, what pressure would I need at 40 degrees F for 48 hours?

I put 30psi into my kegs, roll and shake them a couple or three times a day reapplying the CO2 after the agitation, and it's bubbly in two days or so.

Back