• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Co2 carbonation in a Growler?

BrewSmilee

Apprentice
Reaction score
Hello brewers!

So, I'm scaling down my brewing, but still trying different things.  I've scaled down from good old 5 gal BIAB to 2.5 gal, or even 1 gal.  (Simply get to brew more often and expirament more.

I want to co2 carbonate my small batches in growler or gallons.

I've got one of these
newart.jpg

and one of these
51%2Bz%2BqLRn3L._SL1000_.jpg

The Growltap relief valve pops at 15psi.  Is this sufficient to carbonate the growler?  From the tables I have seen I believe I will need to do this in my fermentation frig to hit a typical 2.3-2.5 volumes.  (Side question, due to not getting a sufficient response from Growltap.  Is the Co2 always under pressure in the bottle, or is it only released when the tap valve is opened?)

Looking forward to all your replies.

I believe that the CO2 only comes out when you "bump" it.  And I imagine it leaks a bit over time.  So I think it would be possible but a bit of a PITA... bumping every day or so to carb/keep carbonated.  Bottling would probably be easier... and I never thought I'd say that.  I know it's more expensive, but what about the little 1 gallon kegs with a standard CO2 tank & regulator?  I think that would make better beer.

Thanks for the reply Jtoots.  I think you may be right about the 1 gal kegs.  Those one gal kegs get expensive, so was just trying to think of lower cost options with some of the stuff I've got.  Suppose that may be going on my xmas list.

No prob!  My brother picked up the growltap for my dad last season and so far he's really liked it, but I think it'll be much better at maintaining carbonation than creating it.

My wife got it for me last year, and it's been great for just that, keeping growlers carbonated. 

I did find a wide mouth bottle carbonation cap, but it doesn't have a hose barb so can't counter pressure fill.  Anyone found one of these with the barb?

Back