• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

What is difference between Keg/Bottling Temperature: Storage Temperature:

mikrimouse

Apprentice
Reaction score
Hello

Can someone explain what is keg/bottling temperature , and what is storage temperature at Carbonation and storage segment of beersmith recipe ?
Thanks

Greetings - I can't specifically answer your question.  However, I bottle condition at whatever temperature my basement is at the time; summer is 70° and winter is 65°.  If the basement gets colder than 65°, I'll bring my beer upstairs.  Then I'll typically "condition" in a cooler / refrigerator set at a temperature conducive to the yeast I used for laggering or cold cold crashing, whatever the case may be.

Hope this helps.  I'm sure one of the other brewers can add a more specific answer to your question.

Good luck!

Thanks for reply i do same as you, basement then upstairs where temperature is never under 20 C. But I was more specific about beer smith receipt temperatures  that I get.
huVxsP7.png

The bottling/kegging temperature is the temperature of the beer at the time you bottle or keg it.  This helps determine the amount of dissolved CO2 which is in the beer before you add more (as either sugar for the yeast to produce CO2 or as bottled gas).

The storage temperature is the temperature you store the bottles/kegs when allowing the beer to carbonate up.  I am not sure how this applies to bottle conditioning, though you need a temperature where the yeast can be active.  For kegging, (I don't keg, so this is a bit of a guess) it determines the head pressure of CO2 needed to provide the target amount of CO2 in the beer once it has been chilled. 

Back