• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Beer Smith 2 Adding custom ingredients to data base

Gwion

Apprentice
Reaction score
Hi All,

I have been a member for some time but rarely post.

My question is about customising my data base in Beer Smith 2 so that i can add specific grains and hops to the pop up menu so that they can be easily added and adjusted in recipes.

I have been using the program for about 2 years and have tried a few times to do it and can't figure it out.

I have custom ingredients in certain recipes but can't work out how to add them to the data base for future use in recipes and to easily add the to my inventory and shopping list.

In all likelihood it is something simple i am missing but would really appreciate help on this as i am trying to improve my record keeping and inventory tracking.

Thanks in advance.

There are a couple of ways to add items to any of the ingredient lists. 

The easiest, if the ingredient is already in a recipe you have in BeerSmith is to click on that ingredient and then on the far right column of icons, there is a disk icon labeled 'save item'.  This will create a new item in the appropriate ingredient list with the specifications of that ingredient as they are in the recipe.

If you are entering a new ingredient by hand, you can open the list of ingredients to which you wish to add an item.  You will see on the icon ribbon an icon which is labeled 'add grain' (or yeast, or hop, or misc depending upon which ingredient file you have opened).  BeerSmith will then open a blank ingredient window to which you can add the vital information to allow BeerSmith to calculate.  Many times you can get this information from the maltster/hop breeder or supplier/yeast company.

Alternatively, if you have just received a new lot of an existing item which has different stats, you can open the ingredient file, highlight the item you want to modify an right click on it.  Click on copy and then paste it into the ingredient list. A duplicate of that item will appear and you can alter the information inside to suit the new lot you received.

Thanks a heap for the reply. I will give it a go and report back.  :D

EDIT: Hey! It's all working great. I knew there would be something simple i was missing. I am currently going through all my malts and editing with correct details. Thanks again. Cheers.

Back