Author Topic: Is my yeast dead?  (Read 3858 times)

Offline Dommt

• BeerSmith Apprentice Brewer
  • BeerSmith 2 Rocks!
Is my yeast dead?
« on: November 27, 2016, 10:10:56 AM »
1st time brewing beer.  My instructions said to rehydrate the yeast.  I followed the directions except it said to let it sit for 15 min.  It was more like an hour before I was ready to pitch it.  Both temps were ok.  I pitched it last night around 7pm.  It is 10 am and I am  not seeing any bubbles coming off the air lock.  Is it too soon or is the yeast not working?  It is a Blond ale.  Thanks in advance!  Dom

Offline flars

• BeerSmith Brewer
  • BeerSmith 2 Rocks!
Re: Is my yeast dead?
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2016, 12:05:20 PM »
Give your yeast more time.  The yeast starts out by replicating then the fermentation begins.  Using a bucket for your fermentor?  Bucket lids usually don't have a good seal.  This is not a problem.  When fermentation is beginning the CO2 may be escaping around the rim.  In a couple of days look for a krausen forming by pulling the airlock or shining a light from the opposite side of the bucket.  Don't bother with a SG reading for about 10 days even if the instructions said the fermentation will be done in four days.

Offline Dommt

• BeerSmith 2 Rocks!
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2016, 12:19:17 PM »
Thanks, I was starting to worry.  Sounds like it needs 24 hours min.  I am using a carboy with an airlock. 

Offline Dommt

• BeerSmith 2 Rocks!
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2016, 03:00:47 PM »
Progress!  Foam is starting to form on the top.  The yeast is replicating!

Offline flars

• BeerSmith Brewer
  • BeerSmith 2 Rocks!
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2016, 03:04:23 PM »
Yaahh!  In a few years there might be less to worry about.  Just kidding.  You'll start worrying more as you try for the perfect beer.

KellerBrauer

« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2016, 06:27:48 AM »
Greetings All,

I brewed last week using US-05 (dry yeast) and it took about 7 hours before I saw any activity.  I'll typically rehydrate about an hour before I pitch and I use my beaker on a stir plate. It sometimes takes much longer than what the manufacturer suggests.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2016, 03:38:26 PM by KellerBrauer »