• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Is my yeast dead?

Dommt

Apprentice
Reaction score
1st time brewing beer.  My instructions said to rehydrate the yeast.  I followed the directions except it said to let it sit for 15 min.  It was more like an hour before I was ready to pitch it.  Both temps were ok.  I pitched it last night around 7pm.  It is 10 am and I am  not seeing any bubbles coming off the air lock.  Is it too soon or is the yeast not working?  It is a Blond ale.  Thanks in advance!  Dom

Give your yeast more time.  The yeast starts out by replicating then the fermentation begins.  Using a bucket for your fermentor?  Bucket lids usually don't have a good seal.  This is not a problem.  When fermentation is beginning the CO2 may be escaping around the rim.  In a couple of days look for a krausen forming by pulling the airlock or shining a light from the opposite side of the bucket.  Don't bother with a SG reading for about 10 days even if the instructions said the fermentation will be done in four days.

Thanks, I was starting to worry.  Sounds like it needs 24 hours min.  I am using a carboy with an airlock. 

Progress!  Foam is starting to form on the top.  The yeast is replicating!

Yaahh!  In a few years there might be less to worry about.  Just kidding.  You'll start worrying more as you try for the perfect beer.

Greetings All,

I brewed last week using US-05 (dry yeast) and it took about 7 hours before I saw any activity.  I'll typically rehydrate about an hour before I pitch and I use my beaker on a stir plate. It sometimes takes much longer than what the manufacturer suggests.

Back