• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Purging with C02

seanthanna

Apprentice
Reaction score
Hi All,

First post here and looking forward to contributing in the future. 

I'm on batch #6 and so far all have been enjoyable brews.  I'm currently doing partial mash (BIAB) but I plan to switch to all-grain with the next batch.

Anyway, one question I have is I see people talking about purging secondaries with C02 all the time yet I see very little information on how that is actually done.  I have a C02 tank with regulator...Would I just put the gas line in the bottom of the carboy and let it rip for a few seconds and then cap it until I'm ready to rack from primary? 

I realize many suggest not using a secondary however this particular batch involves a double-dry hop so I added the first round in the primary and would like to rack to secondary to add the second round so the first isn't lingering around for too long.  Also I do like the clarity a secondary provides. 

Any advice is much appreciated. 

You're on the right track when it comes to purging the vessel with CO2.  Now, to provide two cents that you're not asking for, I would suggest you do the 2nd dry hop in the keg rather than in secondary.  I only suggest this because it's a bit easier and I'm lazy.

I will eventually start doing that but as of now I don't have a corny yet...xmas is coming ;-)

so is it ok/safe to just take the gas line and put it in the bottom of a glass carboy and just let it run for a few seconds?  if so, how long?  can this be done indoors?  I know C02 is technically heavier than air but will it really stay in there?

Although CO2 is heavier than air, it will mix with any gas it has access to. The relatively small opening of a carboy will slow the mixing, but without a stopper and/or an airlock it will mix.

Logic says that without wind, the gasses won't mix, but physics says that gasses are in constant motion internally - Brownian Motion.  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brownian_motion

Back