• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Temperature of Mash Tun is NOT effecting my Strike Water Temp

skwieland

Apprentice
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I am new to this BS program and have been using ProMash for 15+ years. I am missing my MASH IN temps by 3-8 degrees and I am convinced it is due to the MASHTUN temp not having any effect on the strike water temp.

In ProMash when I adjust the MashTun temperature it adjusts my strike water temperature to compensate. I brew outside in 15 gallon kettles so they can be quite cold. When I enter my MashTun temperature the MashIn strike water temperature does not change. (BTW the strike water temp does change when I adjust to the actual grain temp) I have my specific gravity set to .2

What am I missing?

Thank yoUY!

there's a checkbox buried in there somewhere to turn on/off this feature, do you see it?

You can find the check box on the 'mash' tab which allows for correcting temperatures based upon your equipment temperature.  Check this box to instruct the software to compensate for your mash tun temperature.

Attachments

• mash tab capture.JPG
    mash tab capture.JPG
    36.1 KB · Views: 431
Thank you! That worked eventually!!

I apparently originally did not put a specific gravity to my equip. Then once I did in order for it to take the change I needed it tell it a different equip profile, then go back and re-enter mine so it would take the changes. Now it seems to be changing accordingly when I change the temp of the equipment. It change to temp still seems low. Should I increase the gravity?

THANKS AGAIN!!!

I am assuming that you mean the specific heat setting.  I've made several adjustments to my equipment profiles to account for the various pots and my mash tun.  Also check to make sure you have the weight of your mash tun as accurate as you can.  Once you verify that, you can copy a recipe you brewed and play with the specific heat until the recipe temperatures duplicates your actual results.

BeerSmith is pretty good in that it allows you to make those fine tuning adjustments.

Back