• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Kegging with Dextrose

rmorgan

Apprentice
Reaction score
So my CO2 tank is running low and Im going to Keg an Oatmeat Stout with Dextrose and looking for your input.  Looking at the Beersmith it shows at lower carbonation/storage temperatures to use less Dextrose.  This seems exact opposite to what I thought to be correct, shouldnt it be more dextrose at keezer temps and less at room temperature for carbonation, the same as it is with bottles?  I do know to use roughly half the amount of dextrose for kegs vs bottles but this temperature thing has got me 2nd guessing myself.

Thanks
Bob

More CO2 stays in solution at colder temps.  So the colder the beer is stored the less priming sugar is needed.  That goes for both kegs and bottles. HTH!

Room temp would be better.  The yeast are not very active at the colder temps and would take a long time to chew through the priming sugar.

CO2 is fairly inexpensive.  Why not just get your tank filled?

Thanks again for the response.  Well, I have multiple reasons to try priming vs forced carb:
1.  Access to CO2 refill only at 1 source (atleast at a decent price of $1.50 per pound, everywhere else $5 to $10 per pound and they wont fill your tank)
2.  CO2 source not very convenient to just stop by, need to plan my days out better
3.  Only have 1 priming lid for kegs which is in use
4.  Always like to try something different

Go for it then.  It's always good to experiment.  What is a keg priming lid?

Sorry for the long delay in response, I actually meant to type "3.  Only have 1 keg Carbonation lid and already in use".

As an update, the Stout keg has finished carbonating and it tastes great (mouthfeel is better than when force carbonated on same recipe) this will be my new method for carbonating Ales and Stouts when Im not in a rush for the keg to carbonate.

Still confused on a keg carbonation lid.  How are you carbonating your beer with co2?

Carbonation lid is a keg lid with gas ball lock attached, a 12 to 16" gasline inside the keg ending with a carbonation stone.

http://www.ontariobeerkegs.com/Carbonation_lid_for_Cornelius_Keg_p/carbonation-lid.htm

Cool!  I never knew those existed. You can also carbonate without one of those fancy lids!

Yeah, but I like gadgets just as much as I like playing with different ways of doing things.  FYI, a carbonation lid will carbonate your keg in approx 36 hours (or less) while sitting stationary in keezer, no need to shake or roll the keg (which helps to save the back).

Back