• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Need some advice on a tripel

Daffypuck

New Forum Member
Reaction score
  Im fairly new to home brewing. Ive decided to brew the same style over and over while altering different aspects during the process to see how it affects the final product. Im partial to Belgians and since a tripel is a fairly easy home brew to try, thats what I decided to go with. Ive brewed several batches and I really dont see much differences in each batch despite what I change. My question is, how do I get a bigger bodied, sweeter honey-like tripel? The more sugar I add or more malt I add, I just get a boozier kind of dry product. Heres a sample recipe of one of the last three ive done.
15 lbs Pilsner (2 Row) 
3 lbs Cara-Pils/Dextrine
1 lbs Wheat Malt, Bel (2.0 SRM)
1.00 oz Magnum
0.50 oz Hallertauer Hersbrucker
0.50 oz Saaz
Off the top of my head, I cant recall the yeast I used. Ive brewed 3 batches 3 straight weekends and used 3 different types of Belgian yeast. I think this batch I used a Belgian Strong Ale yeast, maybe WLP545

I pitched at 76 and fermented right around 65
Any suggestions would be great.

Greetings daffypuck,

I also enjoy a good tripel.  In fact, Karmelite Tripel is one of my favorites.  So, I found a recipe on the Candi Sugar website.  I made that recipe and it's outstanding.  Looking at your recipe, I don't see any oats.  Oats are the third grain in the tripel along with barley and wheat.  Also, believe it or not, the recipe I used called for wine yeast.  It allowed the natural sweetness to remain.

Hope this helps

Good luck!

Back