• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Lost some recipes?

joeinma

Brewer
Reaction score
I use BeerSmith at home and at work and store the program and all the recipes on Dropbox so that I always have my info on both computers.  After using the program last night, I opened it at work today and noticed that a good chunk of my recipes were gone.  I usually enter recipes from beer books, BYO, etc, just to have. Many were gone.  So I used the recover from back up option and selected the previous day's backup.  Well that worked, sort of...it brought back a good portion of recipes, EXCEPT for any entered in 2016 and a few from 2015.  Seems weird?

So now my only option is to use the Recipe archive under View and to one by one add back the recipes? I am on version 2.3.7.

Go to View->Recipe Archive and you can probably recover many of them.  I strongly recommend against using Dropbox or any shared drive as there is nothing in BeerSmith preventing one copy on one computer from overwriting the data from a copy running on another computer.  That's probably what happened here - when you have two computers writing to the same file with no locks preventing it they will overwrite each other potentially resulting in truncated files and total data loss.

Brad

Same as just happened to me. I log in most days, then tonight, I have lost all my 2016 and 2017 recipes!

How can they just disapear?

I just looked at View--> Recipe Archive and you have to import one at a time as there are several files for the same recipe, I have nearly 50.

I don't have dropbox or anything like that, just a straighforward win 10.

In your case you should try File->Recover and open the various backups in separate tabs using the button there.  If you find the one you want you can just restore it from the same dialog.  This will only work with 2.3 or higher.

Brad

I ran into this issue as well. I have Beersmith installed on Win-10 in the office and Vista in the brewery. Had to factory reset the Win-10 box which obviously meant a reinstall. I then changed the documents directory to one on Dropbox (I saw the warning about doing that but I am the only one writing to it and can't be on both machines at once. I think I should be okay.)
I had all my recipes in the brewery but, after the Win-10 reinstall they were gone. The "empty" recipe book from the office then propagated to the brewery wiping out everything there.
I was able to recover via File => Recover from Backup... and selecting an old recovery set. Mission accomplished.

I wanted to add my 2? in case someone else finds themselves in a similar situation.
I'd also like to offer a suggestion that during a reinstall or directory change that, if the directory exists, add an option to the process to retain or restore the existing data. I am happy to have everything back but would have preferred a little less stress along the way.

Thanks!

Or better yet, update BS to use cloud based services

:)
Rick

Toy4Rick said:
Or better yet, update BS to use cloud based services

Valid point for (unless it's changed) up to 10 recipes for free. While additional recipe cloud space is not unreasonably priced, there are more economical ways to back up data. Just a matter of understanding fully how to recover. I know from other posts I'm not the only one taking that route so quite a few Beersmith users might benefit from it being a consideration in the install/repair process. I'm just glad I was able to recover at this point.

Cheers!

By the way, recipes, equipment, ingredients, etc. all have to be recovered separately. Just another heads-up for anyone else who finds themselves in a similar situation.

Back