• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Mashing with Steeping grains

homebrewlol

New Forum Member
Reaction score
I was looking for a clean way to setup a recipe where the mash calculations make sense for mashing only the grains with enzymes and steeping the rest of the grains. I've looked all over the forums without a real answer. I do know I can use the infusion Tool for the mash calculation external to the recipe.

Having said that, I see one trick I could do which is update the Grain Weight Basis on the Mash Profile with only the grain weight I planned to mash. I do know that one of the problems is if I update the grains on the design tab this field will probably get over written by Beersmith application to reflect the new grain weight. I could put a note in the recipe to the effect of what I was trying to do if someone where to change the recipe or scale it up or down. I admit this is a hack.

The one real issue is will this screw up other calculation for the recipe?

Sorry you can ignore this post. I answered my own question.

After further testing with the Grain Weight Basis on the Mash Profile, it isn't going to work like I thought.

It might be nice in future software enhancements to allow the user to set a steeping grain option flag additions on the design tab with zero enzyme (i.e. 0 Lintner value). These grains would then not be included in the mash profile or process.

Back