• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Yeast units in (g) or (kg)

mbed

New Forum Member
Reaction score
I am brewing batches around 75l (20 gal), and sometimes i brew two batches and put them in one frementor.
For such large batches i buy Fermentis dry yeast in pack of 500g (17.6 oz).

The problem is when i create recipe and only option to add dry yeast is pack. Fermentis pack is 11.5g, so i can't get the yeast cell count right. I always need to add something like 4.76 packs  :mad:

TLDR
Add in Options - Units - Yeast units - option to use grams (g) or kilograms (kg) for people who buy yeast in big packs.

Greetings mbed,

Just a thought - can you create an ingredient (yeast) with the detail you're looking for?  From the ingredients tab, select Yeast, then select Add New from the ribbon.  Then do the math and in the field where it askes for the cell count, enter whatever you calculated.

Then when you're creating a recipe, simply select your new yeast and add it to your recipe.  If you need to change this ingredient for a particular reciepe, you can do so from wishing the recipe without changing the Add New ingredient you just created.

Hope this helps!

Good luck!

mbed,

What I do for using harvested yeast is to make a duplicate of the yeast strain in the inventory as KellerBrauer suggests, and edit it to define a unit as 1 gram (or in my case 1 ml) with the value being the number of viable cells in that gram of yeast.  Now save it with the yeast name the same as the strain but with some designation added to it (I use [repitch] on the end of the yeast name).

Now when I bring it into the recipe, I can scale it to the amount that I need to pitch for that particular batch.

Back