• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Brewhouse Efficiency Question

Rockytopbrews

Apprentice
Reaction score
Okay, so I am trying to figure out my brewhouse efficiency (BHE).  Here is my calculation first.

Extract=(volume)x(SG)x(Plato)
Extract=(18.927L)x(1.036)x(.09)= 1.76kg

BHE=Extract/Grains
BHE=1.76kg/4.445kg = 40%

So here is my question.  Since that BHE (40%) input into BS2 gives me an Estimated SG of 1.028 but my measured SG was 1.036, would my actual BHE be 51%?

If you enter the data for a recipe into BeerSmith, it will give you the actual BHE for that recipe on the 'session' tab. (see image) 

The actual calculation starts from the amount of sugars available in the grains (or extract) inherent in the grain bill.  It then compares that number to the amount of sugars which make it to the fermentor.  So for example:

For a grain bill of 12 lbs of 2-row (potential of 1.038) gives me a sugar content of 38 x 12 = 456 points of sugar

If 5 gallons make it to the fermentor at a gravity of 1.060 then my sugars in the fermentor is 5 x 60 = 300

The BHE for the system is 300/456 = 65.8%

Attachments

• BHE calc capture.JPG
    BHE calc capture.JPG
    52.9 KB · Views: 386
Thanks, I saw your reply to my last post right after I posted this one.  I will take a look at your suggestion tomorrow when I get some time to sit down and play.  Thanks again and expect many more questions as I dive deeper into the all grain world.

Okay Og, now that I have figured out how that "sessions" tab works and I have figured by using it that my BHE is 50.9% (see attached picture).  How can I fix it? I know I could add some kettleing sugar in to up my SG, but I would l think there is a better way of doing this.

Attachments

• Untitled.png
    Untitled.png
    36.5 KB · Views: 374
OK, just to make sure I am reading your screen grab correctly.  Are the numbers for volume and gravity from the mash correct?  This is important to determine how much is lost in the mashing step versus the rest of the process.

I know you may have described your brewing process in another thread, but if you could summarize it here, I can make specific recommendations on improving efficiency. 

Well unfortunately the answer is no.  Since this was my first all grain batch I didn't realize there are a lot of extra measurements to take.  So for now I guess I will have to brew again making sure I take those measurements.  Unless you have another suggestion.

When you go to brew again, check to make sure that you have a good crush on your grains.  The kernels should be in small pieces about 3 mm (1/8 inch) or smaller.  Hulls should be mostly intact.  Look for any signs of whole kernels which are very hard and will not break apart easily as this is a sign of a poor crush.  Having a good crush is the biggest factor in obtaining good efficiency.

Next, make sure you measure your water as best you can.  Gravity readings are pretty straight forward, but the largest error factor will come with the water measurement. 

Back