• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Oxygenated beer whinning

jopakent

Apprentice
Reaction score
It tastes soooo bad!!! :'(

After 10 weeks of baited breath, I can finally confirm that I've brewed my first pour-out worthy batch. I got distracted somehow on brew day and left out half my grain. After I pitched my yeast and called it a day, I discovered my error the next morning. I thought I could solve it by using the left out grain to make a concentrated wort and add that to my working batch. It might have worked fine had I not take "great care" to carefully repeat the oxygenation process when I added my cooled wort to the working batch. It had been working for almost 24 hours at that point and as I have now learned all too painfully, that's just too long.

I hit my sugar numbers pretty closely and when I tried a taste at about week 2 it had only a very slight off taste. Unfortunately, as I have now learned, the longer you let oxygenated beer sit, the worse it gets... So after a 9-week age, I added my dry hop, waited another 10 days, carbonated, and then tasted.... Until last night, the awful sinusitis I came down with last week was so bad, I was spared the truth. In fact, while my taste buds were mostly dead, it wasn't bad at all. But last night I poured a glass and the full taste hit me. Sputter!!!

So, my question is this: Has anyone come up with a "cure?" I thought maybe sugar, or citrus, or, something with a strong flavor might overcome the strong, wet-cardboard kick in the palate. But sugar and lemon juice added to the glass I choked down last night didn't really seem to do anything.

Sorry but time won't cure it. The beer will only continue to stale, O2 is not beers friend and should be avoided at every step in the brewing process, EXCEPT for at yeast pitch of course.

Greetings jopakent - it sounds to me like your best option is to jettison the batch and move to the next one.  I have found in my 6+ years of brewing that mistakes are very difficult to cover up.  So I always try and remain positive and learn from the mistake.

All that said, I'm only suggesting you dump the batch because you say the flavor is unbearable.  It's in my opinion, however, that the off flavor you're experiencing might not be from oxygenation - especially if the added oxygen was only 24 hours after you pitched.  You may want to backtrack to see if there may have been some contamination that may have occurred during your process.  I'm not suggesting contamination is the cause, just suggesting it's a possibility.

Yeast uses oxygen during the Lag phase (0-15 hours after pitch) of fermentation. This is not to say that it has depleted all the oxygen in the wort by this time.  So depending on the original gravity adding additional oxygen at 24 hours into fermentation my not have caused as much of an issue as you may expect.

Back