• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Sparge Water Acidification

valeman0

New Forum Member
Reaction score
What type of water does the sparge/mash out acid addition assume?  Do I need to treat my base sparge water with the same (proportional) additions as my base mash water? If so, should I leave any specific additions out of the sparge water as Bru'n water recommends?

Thanks,
Daniel

Yes good question.  Beersmith works out my mineral treatment for the mash water, but I too have sparge water about 40L that is not added into the equation for mashing.  I am going to do just my mash water and check that PH as I assume that is where all of the work is done.  Sparge is sort of rinsing the mash as opposed to mashing where PH may be more important.

My PH water is quite neutral so I am assuming this will also support my logic.

I may be incorrect here...but my water is spot on for cleanliness and no chemicals so that is what I am sticking with for now. (Mind you I have not brewed for 8 years...planning first brew now)

Back