• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Mash tun too small for needed water

Beer_Tigger

Forum Moderator
Grandmaster Brewer
Reaction score
I have a 5 gal Igloo cooler (6-gal kettle) equipment set up.  When I make a heavy beer (12 lbs or more grain) how do I get all the water calculated to fit?  For example I have a recipe that calls for 23 lbs of grain.  The Single Infusion, Full Body mash calls for 28.75 quarts of water, which won't fit in the 5 gal cooler.  Is there a way to have the instructions split it in half and I do two (or more) mashes?

I think I'm just missing something.

Hi,
  One way to do it is to reduce the water to grain ratio in the mash schedule - it normally runs about 1.25, but I believe you can run it down to about 1.0 before the mash gets too thick to handle.  You may take a hit in efficiency if you drop it too far though.

Cheers,
Brad

Sounds like a lot of extra work, do you have more than one Mash Tun? I would go shop around for a new Mas Tun Large enough to do the job. I picked mine up at WallyWorld ($8.99 Because it was missing Parts) and transfer your manifold to it. Problem solved.

Cheers

Preston

Guess I should have gotten the 10gal cooler in the first place.  Live and learn.

(So now if I have and extra 5 gal... what can I do with that?)

Back